DIY Dishtowel Pillows
Spain was so much fun. More on that coming up soon, as soon as I sort through 600 pictures of chorizo. But we came home to a deck, y’all! It was pretty far along when we left and they put the finishing touches on it while we were gone.
So, clearly, the day after we got back, before I did any laundry, I lugged the new furniture that’s been sitting in our living room for a month out onto the deck and ran out to buy fabric to make pillows in my green color scheme.
Let me back up. Here are the pillows I started with. Not horrendous, just not completely up my alley. They came with the furniture set (from Target).
My fave fabric store, Lewis and Sheron, is closed on Sunday. So I went to plan B, Forsyth Fabrics. I found several swatches I liked (2 were in stock, 3 were special order), but couldn’t really pull the trigger on one or two. They all ran between $15-25/yd. (Totally reasonable.) And I figured I needed about 3 yards total for 3 pillows.
So, I meandered about to a few other places: Hancock Fabrics, Homegoods and finally World Market. I didn’t see much outdoor pillow inventory. I guess it’s too late in the season for that. I did see someone walking out of Homegoods with a life-sized grim reaper, however.
But I did come across a stellar grellow ikat napkin at World Market. Only one. And it was $1.98. While the manager was calling another store to see if they had any in stock, I spied these dishtowels over by the cash register.
Um. Bingo. I bought three packs, even though I really only needed 2. I figured I’d rather have an extra in case I messed up. Which was likely. And which happened.
I followed Kate’s method of making envelope closure pillows. I wanted them to be easy to remove to wash and I didn’t want to fool with a zipper. I decided I would pair 2 shades of green on each pillow, one on the front and the other on the back.
Since the edges of the napkins were already hemmed, I could skip that step and use the hemmed edges for the “envelope” ends of the pillow, where the insert goes in.
And after a short bit of sewing, I ended up with 3 pillows perfect for my evergreen scheme.
Here’s a better pic of the color pairings:
I think my summer travels, as fun as they were, created a bit of a nesting drought. I was out the door as soon as I could on Sunday to get this project underway! Meanwhile, Taylor took it easy.
Yes, I even trotted out my plant stand for the full effect.
So, $32 later I have 3 pillows that are EXACTLY what I wanted. (And I still have a pack of dishtowels to return, so I could be netting $22.) Also I may have bought some MORE
napkins future pillows at Target that look something like this (but less olive-y in real life):